Meatballs in Chipotle Cream Sauce

Meatballs in Chipotle Cream Sauce





I detest recipe blogs that tell some long story. I don't care about your life-- just give me the freaking recipe!! However, this one is fun and I'll keep it short. Or keep scrolling...I get it.

This sauce is from a dish that is called Botanas de Hot Dogs that I acquired from the ladies of Isla Mujeres, Mexico. It is an appetizer that is served at family parties, baby showers, Quinceaneras, etc. Hot dogs are sliced up and simmered in the sauce. Now, I'm not a huge fan of hot dogs, but the sauce is EVERYTHING! I end up dipping all of my other food in the sauce and my friends Pam and Christine and I call it 'Hot Dog Sauce' or simply 'HDS'. It would be great on pasta, chicken or Jason Momoa. So, I have named it Chipotle Cream Sauce, because it sounds better than 'Meatballs in Hot Dog Sauce' and that doesn't even make sense. So...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 What You'll Need:

8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 cup of half and half
2 - 3 heaping tablespoons of Chipotle puree **
1/4 cup of thinly sliced white onion 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Mini meatballs (frozen, from Trader Joe's if you're in a hurry. About half a bag) 
Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)

** Chipotle Puree This little can of miracles is most likely available in the Mexican section of your food store. Chipotles are smoked, dried jalapenos and adobo sauce is a wonderful tangy, slightly sweet tomato sauce. I puree several cans of this at a time and store some in the frig and some in the freezer, so it's always on hand. This magical ingredient works beautifully as an addition to marinades, chili, stews, meatloaf, mixed with mayo as a sandwich spread, combined with sour cream as a dip, or as a smoky addition to a Bloody Mary or Bloody Maria.

The task of pureeing is made super easy with my immersion blender (also called a stick blender), one of my go-to gadgets. Chipotle puree is used in my taco meat marinades and it gives everything a smoky, warm depth like a glass of whiskey and a fireplace.  



What You'll Do:

Combine tomato sauce, half and half and Chipotle puree in a bowl and mix well.  

In a small Le Creuset Braiser, small skillet or saucepan,  heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add chipotle cream mixture and then add meatballs. Simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes on low until the meatballs are heated through and the sauce has thickened. 

Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley and serve with toothpicks. Viva the HDS!!







Comments

Popular Posts